Monday, January 27, 2014

"Mommy am I still Dreaming?"

On Friday, I sat in the front row and watched the 5th-9th graders perform for the talent show. There were thirty performers in three different categories (variety, instrument, and singing).  I arrived with Eldon twin brother and his baby sister a full two hours early because the performers had to be there early to practice and set up. Some were good, some were really good, and some were well... my mom always told me, "Baby if you don't have nothing good to say don't say nothing at all."

My children have been taught to always do your best and if your best isn't good enough, go back and practice some more.  All three of my kiddos have been playing piano for 3 years and have never competed in any type of competition.  Eldon was not nervous at all. His biggest concern was getting the purple package of skittle from the snack bar, that was set up but not selling anything (why tempt the kids).  I was a nervous WRECK!  He just looked at me, “Mommy I'm not nervous, what is wrong with you!"  I took my cue, went, and sat down.  He was number 11 in the competition and did AWESOME!  

I do not often brag or boast when it comes to my children.  I believe in the bible verse from Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father, which is in heaven.  

However, on this day I will brag on this young man.  Eldon is a solider for the Lord; he has been called to do something great and powerful for God.  He is sweet and humble.  If you ask Eldon for anything, he will give it to you even if it means that he will go without. His first year at the STEM Academy of Riverside his report card were all A's & B's which is remarkable for that school.  Eldon is well mannered and well spoken.  He can play the piano like no one’s business and takes his lessons very serious.  He loves the LORD!  I will say that again, He loves the Lord.  Even though he was born with a very rare and serious heart defect (Tetralogy of Fallot) he does not let that hinder him.  When he is sick, he begs and pleads to go to school and/or church. When Eldon was being bullied at school, he prayed for the person that was bullying him.  That is something that I as a grown-up can learn from.  He opens the doors for adults and offers his seat to women or elders when there are no other seats available.  He says yes ma'am and sir.  He prays ever morning and night.  He makes sure I buy a gift for his friend’s birthday, as well as the neighbors.  I can go on and on but I will not because if you are ever fortunate enough to meet this sweet, kind spirited young man you will be reminded of Matthew 5:16.


And about that talent show.  No sweetie you are not dreaming you did win 1st Place!

Enjoy!


.

His winning performance!




No comments:

Post a Comment